Monday, March 15, 2010
GF/CF Birthday party on a budget
This is the Gf/CF and egg free cupcakes we had for Caleb's 3rd birthday. He loves Thomas the Train! I wanted the boys to be able to eat everything at the party so we made cupcakes. I made the cupcake toppers from Thomas stickers, scrapbook paper, and toothpicks. My mom made the cupcake tower, Caleb loved it!! I made vanilla cupcakes
(you can see the recipe HERE) and chocolate cupcakes that were really yummy!! (recipe below)
Chocolate (yummy) cupcakes!
makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup Dari free Milk alternative
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 cup Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey's natural)
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil (i used sunflower)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. preheat oven to 350
2. combine milk alternative and cider and set aside
3. whisk together the flour mix, cocoa, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. whisk out all lumps
4. (i used my stand mixer with paddle attachment) mix milk and cider mixture, sugar, oil, and vanilla. beat for about 1 minute.
5. sift in flour mixture slowly
6. fill cupcake liners 3/4 full
7. bake for 18 minutes, turning half way through. Make sure toothpick comes out clean.
These are the best cupcakes we've had, my husband even loved them and he doesn't eat cake!